A student at the School of Geography has been provided the opportunity to collaborate with researchers from his own School, as well as the Lincoln Institute for Agri-Food Technology (LIAT), after he received a bursary for an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Scheme (UROS).
Bart Hill, a Geography BSc (Hons) student, was successfully awarded a bursary of approximately £1000 towards his research project which took place during July 2018.
The project, Aerial Mapping to inform Precision Agriculture: Linking topography to key soil properties, took place over four weeks between the University of Lincoln’s Riseholme Campus, a 200-hectare farming estate, and the Think Tank laboratory facilities at the Brayford Campus. Bart’s project was primarily supervised by LIAT’s Soil Scientist Dr Iain Gould and the School of Geography’s Senior Technician, Dr Joe Harwood and Dr Daniel Magnone, Lecturer in Physical Geography.
The project was completed over the following stages:
- Fieldwork preparation, aerial photographic analysis of Riseholme using a drone
- Collection of field soil samples across the farm at Riseholme and use of a TDR probe to measure soil moisture
- Preparation of soil samples ready for analysis in the Think Tank laboratory
- Analysis of soils using a range of techniques including XRF, XRD and/or loss on ignition
- Collation of data into large database to present/analyse using GIS
- Presentation of findings to the research team at the School of Geography and the Lincoln Institute for Agri-Food Technology
The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Scheme (UROS) is a competitive bursary scheme designed to encourage undergraduates to become involved in the research work of the University, thereby contributing to that work, and developing their own research and transferable skills.
Students taking part in the scheme are required to produce a blog report and poster to showcase their research at an exhibition event.
UROS is a unique opportunity for students to collaborate with academics and engage with research, as well as enhancing their CV and career prospects.
For further information, please send all enquiries to email@example.com